Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Great Wasp Quandary

In life we all face quandaries.  Some are little, like what color toe polish to wear (seafoam green), whether or not to run the yellow (always--I mean only if safe to do so...), and white or red wine (yes).

Then there are big ones that, if they have a solution, are outside my scope. Like, what needs to be done to rescue Italy's economy, why would anyone make filled cupcakes, and how do I get rid of the red wasp occupying my closet?

Well Italy and cupcakes remain out of reach, but I spent most of yesterday puzzling over the wasp situation. I mean, lucky for me I happen to have a significant heap of clean clothes still sitting on the dryer, but most of my shoes were in hostile territory.  So, my options were either surrender the closet for the wasp's lifetime and accept that I'd have to make questionable footwear choices, or try to dart behind enemy lines and rescue some heels.

I hadn't decided by the time I got home, and found that there was in fact a third option. When said wasp finds the crack under the door and sneaks out, sic twenty-four pounds of cat on him.  It wasn't my first choice, I worried that Buckley or Jellybean would get stung. But I wasn't there to stop them, so they faced down the foe and won!

Either that, or the wasp was aged when he invaded and they just happened upon him as he tried to make his way to the sliding door to look at the trees as he took his last  waspy breath.  Either way, I saw the wasp staggering toward the window, dogged by two cats. He made it to the groove for the sliding door and hunkered down, and since Buckley will eat anything, I put a box over the wasp. He got to die in peace and Buckley didn't have to deal with the effects of eating a stinger.

It's not every day that solutions like this present themselves, and I'm always grateful when they do. Thank you, God, for Buckley and JB, toe polish, wine, and a wasp-free apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment