Friday, December 9, 2011

Once Upon a Thursday

Yesterday was one of those work-from-home-in-my-pajamas-until-three kind of days. These days are few and far between, but when one comes along, I've found its best not to fight it. One of the perks of living alone and working from home is that when its after lunchtime and my personal care routine stopped just after my teeth were brushed, no one has to know.
Thus, when a knock sounded on my door at ten a.m. I considered not answering. I mean, I'd hate to be responsible for inflicting PTSD on an innocent UPS man, especially around the holidays. I padded silently up to the door and peered through the peephole, hoping he'd driven away like normal, but it wasn't the brown uniform I saw. It was some fresh-faced kid.
Great.
Now I'm going to scar one of my neighbor's cousin's for life. And when the paramedics show up to cart of his catatonic body, it'll be the same scenario, and next thing you know, I'll have a pile of unresponsive victims on my Welcome mat.
I thought again about not answering, but I was pretty sure the kid had seen my eyeball through the little hole. So, after a quick prayer for both of us, I opened it.
The little angel didn't even flinch, God bless him. No, instead he asked if I was Kimberly Buckner, then handed me a red vase brimming with lilies and carnations. It was beautiful. It took me a minute to accept it because its been so long since I've gotten flowers. But he'd said my name, so I took them.
They were a thank you from a friend and totally unexpected. It positively made my day. Nay, my week.
Sigh.
So, I'm grateful to my friend for the lovely bouquet. and to the nice delivery boy for his stoicism in the face of terror. I'm also grateful to God for so many things, including the brilliant idea of making flowers just to be pretty and smell pretty.  All my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment