Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Dream Day

It's Dream Day.  Fifty years ago, 250,000 people flooded the National Mall  for the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave a speech, then went off book and shared his dream for the future of our country in what became the anthem for Civil Rights.

Looking back, it's amazing to see the impact one man had. But it cost him. What I love is that he knew the cost and he stepped up anyway.

These days in the Young Adult genre is dominated by high stakes stories in which a teenager has to risk everything to save the world. These stories resonate with our common desire to have a cause bigger than ourselves to fight for, and to put our whole selves behind it. They make me wish to be a warrior with a clear mission. And yeah, if a hot guy is battling alongside me, I think I could find a way to deal with that.

But I wonder, would I really fight?

I'd like to think so, but I don't know.

It takes a special something, a special courage and commitment and focus to fight like that.  And I'm grateful for all those bright souls throughout history whose light has shown a better path for the rest of mankind.

Thank you, God, For Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., for how far we have come and for how far we will go. Give me the courage of conviction to fight injustice and evil everywhere I see it, without letting the weight of personal cost stop me.

2 comments:

  1. Many are willing to shout with the crowd but few are willing to carry through to make a difference but we are thankful for those that do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, I love this post. A great reminder to walk in courage and work for justice. So cool to meet you yesterday on the flight back to Arkansas! (You're right - not so cool a name. Arkansas. Lol...) And it's always fun to meet another Christian writer. Makes me feel a little less alone in the world. :) Be blessed, my new writer-friend!

    ReplyDelete