Monday, August 8, 2011

The apple of my eye.

Just to my left, beyond my notes and computer, sits a shiny fuji apple. A portable, refreshing snack. And right now I'm glad for it.
It's one of those days when the apple feels like about the only readily available blessing. I know it's not true, but hey. Sometimes a girl has an "at-least-I-have-an-apple" day.
I owe a lot to the apple...not this one, but the population as whole. Not only was the apple industry responsible for funding my years as a dependent (shoutout to TreeTop - world's best apple juice, and available in your local Starbucks so its cool too) but it also provided a job for me my first summer in college. Have you ever invented a juice flavor, like, oh...Pasionfruit Orange Papaya? I have. It's wicked cool to see your flavor in Costco. Believe it or not, I never would have had that highlight if not for the humble apple.
And now that my salad is gone, this little baseball-sized fruit will make a crunchy treat.
It's also called Nature's toothbrush, so I imagine when I'm finished, my teeth will do that thing like TV characters, when the light glints off my pearly whites in a diamond shape.
I'm not really sure what it means to be the apple of one's eye, but I know it has good connotations. And in Psalms 17:8 among other places God says we're his: Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.
Note that He chose apple, not the candy bar of his eye. Even if candy bars existed when the Bible was written, I bet he'd still pick apples. They taste good and when I eat one I feel all healthy and empowered. Like I could run a mile if I wanted. A big if right now, but at least I could. You could enjoy three crisp, tart, juicy apples for the calories in a candy bar--makes you think. So as the apple of God's eye, I'm invigorating, and bring joy and sweetness to Him.
Aww, shucks.
So, thank you, God, for apples. Well, for all the fruits, but especially the apple. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment