Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Let them eat...um, never mind.

Do you ever have a day where you wish for a reset button to appear so you can start the day again?
Do you ever start wishing for that button before you leave the house?
Me too.
This morning I tried to make a cake for a retirement party.  It came out looking more like brownies than a cake, but hey, who doesn't love a good brownie? Of course, if it's that flat, it may be too dense to taste good.
I decided to take a little nibble out of the top. After all, I would be flipping it out, so the top would become the bottom and no one would know. And if it didn't taste good, I would spare my coworkers.
It tasted...good enough. So I let it cool for a bit and did my ironing.
At go time, I turned it out onto a serving plate. Correction. I turned out half of the cake. The other half glommed stubbornly to the pan.
Maybe I could just put it back in the pan?  Nope, it looked rough. 
First off, I love baking things, so I am always bummed when a goodie fails. Second, I really like my coworker and wanted her to feel special. Hence, the desire for a reset button so I could scurry to the store in my pjs and buy six eggs and some vegetable oil.
Now late, I grabbed all my stuff and darted out the door.

And then, I inhaled.  The air had the rain-cleaned scent. One part wet grass, one part damp earth, one part life.  I love that smell. It's like a reminder that all things are renewable. More specifically, that I am new in Christ each day. Each moment. One breath, and I'm new.

I got my reset. 

Thank you, Lord, for renewal, for rain, for the scents you planted so liberally that awaken my heart. Thank you that April got a cake anyway, and that its raining now, so tomorrow I'll get to smell the newness again.

3 comments:

  1. I love that smell, also, but hadn't thought about why. Now I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly,
    If you will cut a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper to fit in the bottom of the cake pan, you shouldn't have the "half glommed" problem again. I learned from experience. Just FYI.
    I enjoy reading your blog!
    Denise Cannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Denise! I'll have to do that when I work up the courage to try again :-)

    ReplyDelete