Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nice to meet y'all

There are times in life when those near us let us down. Those we trust with the things closest to our hearts may leave us exposed.
This happened to me today. I was standing in front of a room of construction safety professionals (read: men) as I prepared to give a presentation. I had arranged my slides, notes, and goodies. I even ironed my button up and slacks.
The guys were avoiding eye contact and talking mostly to each other, so I just made a circuit of the room depositing a business card in front of each. I'd just regained the front of the room when the group's host approached. I offered a wide smile which he tried to return and stuck out my hand, which he hesitantly accepted.
It wasn't until he'd released my grip that he leaned in and spoke in a low voice. "I don't know how to tell you this, but your button is undone."
I whipped around to face the wall and, sure enough, not just any button but the most important one had sprung free....ahem...I mean, it did have the most stressful job of all the buttons, but still. The things closest to my heart were peeping out at my audience.
Of men.
...
Needless to say, I put the button back where it belonged and immediately thanked the host. He spared me sharing the stage with two of my friends.  He was embarrassed, and while I assured him he handled it correctly, I recatalogued the grand tour around the room, grateful for the averted eyes and overly loud conversations with eachother as I passed.
As with all the hurts inflicted upon us, we must forgive. I forgave the button, though I will add a safety pin to my ensemble next time, and went on with the presentation. Which, I was told later was one of the best they've had so far.
I'm not going to read into that.
I am thankful for two things. One, I was not embarrassed. Not at all. Even now, it's funny but I don't cringe when I think about it. Weird, right?  I'm taking it as a blessing from God. So, thanks, God, for squishing my embarrassment.
Second, I'm thankful for the kind host who stepped out of his comfort zone to let me know I'd come out of mine.  He didn't want to do it, but I'm so glad he did.  So, thank you, God, for people who will do the difficult thing in order to help someone in need.
All my love.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found blessing in an awkward situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Everyone left with a little something they didn't expect.

    ReplyDelete