Thursday, January 21, 2010

It's a grande kind of day

This morning I hit snooze three times. I'm normally a one-hit snoozer. Sometimes, though, it's just hard to get up. The rainy gloom outside my window didn't help, nor did the fact that I ran out of milk.
But, amid the gray of the morning there was a lovely blessing that made getting up seem possible, if not enticing. Coffee! Or, more specifically, caffeine. I know some people tout the evils of a heady cup of rich, warm, liquid joy. To those people, I will supply the following facts.
First off, the many studies performed on coffee and caffeine over the past 30 years have confirmed that more is, in fact, better…unless, perhaps, you have an ulcer. While regular coffee drinkers are 80% less likely to develop Parkinson’s disease, ensuring you get your daily two cups will also reduce the likelihood of colon cancer by 20% and cirrhosis of the liver by 80%. For those of us who drink six cups or more per day – don’t be shy, raise those mugs- we are at least 30% less likely to get type 2 diabetes.
Just the heat seeping into my palm from my hazelnut coffee warms my soul. And though the sky is still gray, the day is looking much brighter.
So, the Lord is my strength, as Psalm 28 says. But coffee doesn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment