Tuesday, January 26, 2010

You have to see this

So, part of what I want to do is post an actual snapshot of something cool once a week. Unfortunately for me, my battery charger has magically vanished into thin air. But, picture this. A bean. Not just any bean, a 66 foot long silver bean. If you've been to Chicago, you know what I'm talking about. The sculpture is technically called Cloud Gate, but Chicagoans affectionately and accurately call it The Bean.
You wouldn't think a giant legume could be beautiful, but the splendor of art, in my humble and uneducated opinion, is to find beauty in the obscure, or freeze joy in a moment.
Last night I arrived in Chicago for business and decided to go for a walk in one of our country's prettiest cities. It was only seven, but completely dark. Elegant buildings with an extinct craftsman's beauty glowed against a backdrop of the purple-black sky over the lake. And there, perched low and smug in their midst, was The Bean. It wasn't directly lit, but is is sleek and reflects the city glow, and morphs the image of the great buildings, so it looks like their bending their heads together. It was snowing lightly, tiny flakes drifting slowly amongst the bustle of cold people on their way somewhere important and taxis and buses and cars.
I'm grateful for a Creator God who never stops creating beautiful inspirations for His people. I'm grateful for art and for people who take risks, like building a giant bean. I'm grateful for moments when I'm not in the bustle and can stop for a moment in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment