Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Check

Today was a computer day at work. I didn't have any meetings scheduled, I just had a lot of paperworkish items that have been nudged aside until the hypothetical stack was about to topple.
So, after a few quick checks of my gmail this morning, I looked at what was waiting, checked gmail one more time, and then dove in. It took a couple of hours to assemble a service plan for a large client. I had to do a little research, dust off the strategic corner of my brain and engage in some planning, and then make the whole thing sounds professional and appealing.
When I hit Send and emailed it off to the CFO, I sat there and smiled at my screen for a minute. The feeling of accomplishment that comes with drawing a line through a task is just...satisfying. Like the old Coke commercials, when everyone takes a fizzy sip and then goes, "Ahhh."
My small group is reading Ecclesiastes and verse 2:24 says "A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God." It made me realize how great that is. To find satisfaction in work. Not because it has changed the course of history, not because no one else could have done it, not because anyone will notice. Just because we're made to be productive beings, and to accomplish even the mundane satisfies that facet of our purpose.
My pastor said once that he thinks Heaven will be like Earth, only way better. That we'll have jobs and roles. It sounds a lot better than floating on a cloud with a harp. I think God finds joy in work and accomplishment and He gave us that piece of Himself. So, while I'm a huge fan of vacations (yay, three day weekend!) I'm grateful for work. For a role. For the little things I can feel good about checking off...when I finally run out of valid reasons to procrastinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment