Wednesday, June 9, 2010

No, I wasn't winking.

I wish, when I was under intense pressure, my heart would race, my palms would dampen, and my eyes would widen slightly in that beautiful terror that haunts heroines on-screen and in print.
Instead, I break out.
NOT a leading-lady response. But with Neutrogena as my faithful companion, I can find within myself the gumption to fight back!
Recently, perhaps because Neutrogena and I are so effective, my nervous system has decided it's time for a new stress outlet. Now my left eyelid goes into a micro-twitch at lightning speed. It doesn't happen always, just in spells, and I've discovered if I jam the pad of my index finger against the lid aggressively, my eye will back down and sit still for a while. I don't think it's noticeable to third parties (I certainly hope not), but I'm tempted to get out the scotch tape and do a little problem solving. Then maybe I'd manage that wide-eyed fear thing going from at least one eye.
Though it is a small muscle with a small spasm, it steals my attention entirely. It is very distracting to see your lashes bob in and out of view. One can hardly enjoy a good sunset when one's eye is batting of it's own accord. Which, in my propensity to see analogies even when my eyes don't want to cooperate, made me think of perspective. How often do I succumb to the minor irritants in life and miss out on the wonders around? How often do I let one twitchy situation become my sole focus, when I could just look beyond to the sunset? Or revel in all the muscles I have that aren't running amok?
So, today I'm thankful for all the time my eye doesn't twitch, and the pad of my index finger to stop it. I'm thankful that even when my lid gets hyper, life is still good! And, of course, for the good folks at Neutrogena, fighting the good fight against break outs everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment