Thursday, March 18, 2010

Beach Weekend!

Tomorrow I am going to the beach! A friend is having a birthday and we're celebrating in Panama City Beach, FL. I love the beach and I fully intend to spend a few solid hours reading to the melodic rhythm of the waves against the sand in the warmth of the springtime sunshine. If it's not warm, I'll be out there in my sweatshirt and yoga pants.
I am so glad God made beaches. There's something about seeing the arc of the atmosphere along the far edge of the navy blue that puts things in perspective. If God can deal with an ocean, He can deal with me.
In Job 38 8-11, God says "Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place, when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt'?
It's a great question, until you stand in front of the boundless blue, and then, it's a stunning revelation of the true power and Lordship of our God.
Thank you, God, for the beach. For being big enough that to control the ocean and count the grains of sand. For revealing yourself to us in the beauty of your creation.

2 comments:

  1. I am JEALOUS! The beach is my soul place. Too bad it is not ELEVEN hours away. Ouch. That hurts. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although you didn't know it, we were in Victoria for the weekend and shared a view of the vast seas with you, my lovely. The ripples glistened like pave set diamonds. I'm so glad you have the gift of acute awareness of your senses and a deep appreciation of the sights, scents, sounds, and feel of your surroundings and a disposition to "see" beauty.

    ReplyDelete