Monday, March 22, 2010

In spite of the snow

I was sitting at Panera this morning, minding my own business and enjoying my hazelnut coffee, when something caught my eye. A small, white something. and then a lot of small white somethings.
Yes. It was snowing. In Atlanta. Again.
And my thoughts were about as pretty as the slush that forms when said snowflakes melt and mix with road grit.
But, eight o'clock is too early to surrender an entire day to the doldrums or the snowflakes. I tried for a bit to cajole myself out of my bad mood, but my mood was having none of it.
Then, I asked God if wouldn't mind taking over the cajoling. He's much better at it than I am and within an hour of persistently asking, sometimes every few seconds, for God to fix my thoughts, I was free! No more Negative Nellie.
Phillipians 4:8 says, Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. A daunting charge to be sure if we're meant to do it on our own, but we're not!
I just love that God has dominion over all things, my wayward thoughts included. All I need to do is surrender them and He will make them beautiful.
Thank you, Lord, for the freedom that comes in your presence, for not asking what you do not enable, and for providing for the very best that can be. All my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment