Thursday, February 4, 2010

As I lay me down to sleep

I'm posting late again because I had to be at work early. I stayed up late preparing as well. For two days I've been teaching my colleagues a new information system at work. It's a good system and I like teaching, but it was pretty taxing, honestly. I had to be on, had to be ready to answer any questions, had to be nice even when people got tired of sitting all day and turned snippy (or at least I had to try to be nice....) I think it went well and felt good about the whole thing when we wrapped up at noon today. Then, after a few more hours of work, I came home, curled up with a book, and read until my eyes quit focusing and I drifted off into the warm arms of sleep.
Ahhhh. There is nothing quite like waking up completely limp, without an alarm blaring or work calling. The slow awareness of self and surrounding alighting on your consciousness. A long, lazy stretch of totally relaxed muscles.
Isn't sleep amazing? I mean, imagine if God had made us not to need it, to be functional and alert without stop for twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. If night time was just second shift.
Ugh. I think even if I didn't need to, I would want to sleep. It is a chance to be still in a hectic world, to be vulnerable and safe, to let your mind run free in a dreamscape. There are a lot of studies now reflecting the importance of getting enough sleep. I say, good. But I didn't need convincing in the first place.
Psalm 121 verse 3 says He will not let your foot slip- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed he who watches over you will neither slumber nor sleep. Thank you God for watching over me so I can rest, for being strong and vigilant always, so that even if I could, I don't have to. Thank you for an experiential image of the renewing and refreshment you offer me each day (and sometimes again in the afternoon). I will rest in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment