Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Roy G. Biv

What is your favorite color?
Simple question, but I always feel like a dolt when I try to answer. Truth is, most of the time I don't have a favorite. It's hard for me to imagine one color I would love to the exclusion of the others. It is the variety that makes each beautiful. Today, for instance, it is pretty gray outside. The bright pink lid of my coffee mug smiles up at me from my desk, and when no one is looking, I smile back.
Pink. Great color. Cheerful and warm, hence the proverbial rose colored glasses. It brings to mind spring and life and vibrant energy (as I type this it occurs to me that this particular association may have something to do with the fact that it is the lid to my coffee mug, but still.)
Now, if my desk were pink, I would probably vomit marshmallows. Like a said, great color, but better in small doses.
I love the bright blue of a summer sky and I love the variegated green of the smokey mountains when they're all leafed out. It's almost impossible to be gloomy in the presence of a bright lemony yellow. Here again, though, I pause. If the grass were bright lemony yellow, I bet Tylenol Headache sales would skyrocket.
Nope, overall, I can't pick a favorite. It is the concert of rich hues, bright and subtle, that weave a beautiful picture on this earth. Thank you God for inventing color, even beige, because amidst the variety are spots of glory that would be lost on me if they were all I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment