Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Send

I have a meeting tonight in the burbs, which for a city girl is kind of like driving to Timbuktu in traffic, and then hanging a left. I came straight up from the office so I could beat the after-work rush and arrive some time before Thursday... which I have.
The up side is I didn't have to sit and stare at miles of angry red tail lights. The down side is I have a bunch of time on my hands.
Which leads me to today's bright spot.
I ran a few errands and then thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if I had someone to talk to?" And thanks to a little forest green piece of plastic in my purse, I can. Yes, my cell phone. Was it less than twenty years ago that answering machines were the wave of the future? Less than ten that I had to go back to my college dorm to see if anyone had called?
It's hard to even remember what that was like. But now I just scroll through the digital phonebook and I get to talk to my Dad about the apple harvest of the Northwest among the other goings-on of life. In a world, job, and passion where its easy to feel isolated, my ghetto green phone keeps me from getting too lost in my own head.
Thanks, God, for family and friends and cell phones with which to talk to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment